Pastor brian Berg
“Proclaim the Word”
1) The Living Word (Colossians 1:13-29)
2) The Written Word
SERMON BASED QUESTIONS:
The Living Word: Read John 1:1-14 and Colossians 1:13-29
In Colossians 1:13-20 list the things that we learn about Jesus from this text.
How does knowing these things about Jesus provide motivation to proclaim Jesus?
What most motivates you to want to proclaim Jesus in your circle of influence?
What makes it challenging in your life and in our world these days to speak of Him?
What helps you to overcome the challenge?
Read Colossians 1:28-29. Take a couple minutes and write a personal paraphrase of these words.
6. Some say this is one of the best statements of purpose for churches and individual Christians in the NT. Do you agree or disagree? Why?
7. How do you see our church living out this purpose? What are some ways we could do better?
Read Colossians 1:21-27.
8. What do you think is the connection between the verses that came before this and the verses that come after it in Chapter 1?
9. What do you think it means “to fulfill what is lacking in Christ’s affliction”?
The Written Word: Read 2 Timothy 3:13-4:5, and Isaiah 55:10-11
10. Why do you think the proclamation of the written Word is so central to the purpose of the church?
11. How do the proclamation of the written Word and the living Word (Jesus) go hand in hand?
12. Many Christian leaders today feel that the proclamation of the written Word is both harder and more necessary than ever before. Do you agree or disagree? Why?
13. How do you see our church living out this purpose? What are some ways we could do better?
14. How will an expanded building help us to fulfill this purpose?