Below are the most Frequently Asked Questions we get about GroupLife at Woodlands:
• Why are small groups so important?
• What happens in small groups?
• Why should I become part of a Life or class?
• Do I need to be a member of Woodlands Church to join a group?
• I’m not even sure if I'm a Christian. Can I still attend a group?
• How often do groups meet?
• Is childcare available?
• How and when can I sign up?
• How do I choose a group?
• Can I sign up for both a Life Group and a class?
• What happens when I click ‘submit’ for a Life Group?
• What happens when I click ‘sign-up’ for a class?
• What if I don’t like the group after it starts?
• Can I start my own group?
• How can I host a group?
• How can I form a new group?
What is Group Life?
Group Life is made up of Life Groups (small groups) and classes.
Why are small groups so important?
At Woodlands Church, our mission is to help people experience the full life that Jesus offers us. We believe small groups help us grow closer to God through sharing communities of like-minded people who are each on a common journey. Since God made us to be in relationship with Himself and to enjoy fellowship with one another, small groups are a great place to learn, grow and, well, live!
What happens in small groups?
Think "party with a purpose!" Woodlands' small groups spend time hanging out and building relationships. They offer a safe, relaxing, friendly and active setting for members to gather together on a regular schedule. Sometimes the group will have a cookout, serve others in their community or simply encourage, laugh and learn with each other. Small groups also spend time looking at who God is and what He wants us to know to live godly lives. Small groups often pray for one another. Of course, what we hope will happen is people will encounter Jesus and experience more of Him in their everyday lives. And how better to do that than among friends?
Why should I become part of a Life Group or class?<
- Life Groups are groups of 5-15 people who meet weekly or bi-weekly and generally meet in homes for the purpose of pursuing spiritual growth and healthy relationships. These groups usually stay together for one to three years. They hang out, study the Word, and pray together. Groups come in all shapes and sizes – married couples, singles, men’s, women’s, with kids, no kids, 20’s, over 40 - the list goes on! No matter where you are in life, we will help you find a group.
- Classes are various size groups that meet for shorter periods of time and are formed around the common desire to learn more about a particular subject. We cover topics like Bible overview, parenting and finances. These groups also provide a taste of the more significant friendships that can be formed in Life Groups.
Why should I become part of a Life or class?
First, you’ll begin to feel like you're part of God's family and not just a face in the crowd. This is where you will connect with others in a significant way, experiencing Christian community.
Second, as you study and apply God’s words together in an atmosphere of grace, over time you will be transformed more into the image of Christ, to bring Him glory. This is the ultimate goal of the Christian life and it best happens in relationship with others.
How often do groups meet?
Most groups meet weekly or bi-weekly. They meet on a predictable day and time (e.g.: the 2nd and 4th Friday from 7 to 9 pm). We have many options that will fit your schedule.
How and when can I sign up?
We are always trying to plug people into groups throughout the year, but generally the best time to get into a group is in early September and early January when we start new groups. There are three ways to sign up for a group:
- Attend the GroupLife Fair in September or January. There you will get a chance to meet the leaders from the various groups and find a group that best fits you.
- Sign up online. Through the Woodlands Church website, you may view the groups and classes that are looking for members. Then you can fill out a form letting us know you're interested in a particular group.
- Call the church office at 715-341-0800 and we will help you find a group.
How do I choose a group?
Many people gravitate toward groups based on general stage of life; this can be an easy way to find a good fit. Our online sign-up also allows you to sort by categories like day of the week, childcare, etc.
What happens when I click ‘submit’ for a Life Group?
Several things will happen when you submit a request for more information about a particular Life Group:
- You’ll get a confirmation email, letting you know we got your request for more information.
- The leader of the group you selected will get back to you as soon as possible so, and together, the two of you can decide if this group is a good fit for you.
- The church office will collect your sign-up information and keep track of the sign up process.
What happens when I click ‘sign-up’ for a class?
When you click 'sign-up' for a class...
- You’ll get a confirmation email, letting you know that you have successfully signed up for the class. Please attend your class on the first day and pay for class materials then.
- Your facilitator will get your sign-up information and either order materials or let you know what materials you’ll need for the class (workbook, etc.). They will not contact you unless you have questions or they need to pass along extra information to you about the class.
- The church office will get your sign-up information.
What if I don’t like the group after it starts?
We understand that sometimes, for whatever reason, a group may not meet your expectations. We ask that you commit to the group for the first 4 weeks and then make a decision if you want to continue or not. We can help you find a new group if you are still interested.
Can I start my own group?
We love it when people are interested in leading a group of their own. For more information, contact Pastor David Hansen or the office at 715-341-0800.
How can I host a group?
To host a home group you need only the space, access to the group's members and a servant's heart. For more information, contact Pastor David Hansen or the office at 715-341-0800.
How can I form a new life group?
There may be no current life groups meeting in your area or you may have family, friends or neighbors that would like to form a new life group. If so, contact Pastor David Hansen or the office at 715-341-0800.
Still have questions?
Contact Pastor David or the office at 715-341-0800!